Should I Buy a Desktop Or Laptop Computer?
Posted 31/08/2016 by BrightHouse Social Team
Deciding which computer is best suited for you and your family can be a difficult decision, especially considering that the device you invest in will potentially be used for the years to come. To help you make the right decision, here's a round-up of the advantages that a desktop may have that a laptop doesn't and vice versa.
Laptop - Advantages
- Mobility - probably the biggest advantage that a laptop has over a desktop computer is portability. With a great selection of lightweight devices on the market, getting around with a laptop requires little effort especially when it weighs in at a mere 1.9kg like the Apple Macbook Air.
- Higher Productivity - It can also be argued that if you're able to carry your laptop wherever you go, you can be more productive as you will be able to get more done while on the go instead of having to wait until you're back home to get online with your desktop computer.
- Instant Accessibility - Being more productive is a result of having instant access to your documents and files stored on the laptop. Most places also now offer free wi-fi connectivity so this means you can access the internet with your laptop while enjoying a McDonald's breakfast.
Laptop - Disadvantages
- Higher Price - in most cases, a laptop will generally cost more to purchase than a desktop computer as they require smaller, intricate parts and components than that of a desktop computer.
- Theft - a laptop can be targeted easier by thieves if you're on the go where as a desktop is more secure within the home.
- Accidental Damage - As a laptop can be carried around, the risk of dropping your laptop or developing cosmetic marks and scratches is heightened compared to a desktop PC which remains stationary. With that said, just be wary of spilling your cup of tea when sat at your desktop computer.
- Bigger Screen - Desktop computers provide a larger screen and typically better sound than that of a laptop. This means that if you're somewhat of a movie buff or you have amassed a large collection of music or home videos, a desktop computer will provide a better viewing and listening experience especially if you have family or friends joining you. With the HP 27" Pavilion 1TB All-In-One PC, you will get brilliant visuals and full HD resolution on a whopping 27" monitor to really bring your movies and photos to life in a cinematic way.
- Ergonomics - As a laptop has been built for portability, this means that some users will find it's compact size less comfortable and harder to use compared to a desktop computer. With a desktop you can place the keyboard and mouse to suit your optimal seating position making for a cosier set-up. A mouse is also easier and quicker to manipulate when moving between programmes or clicking and selecting files to open or close, compared to a laptop trackpad which can be a bit fiddly and get some time getting used to.
Desktop - Disadvantages
- Must remain stationary - As touched on earlier in this post, the obvious disadvantage a desktop has compared to a laptop is that it's designed to remain at the desk. However with that said, the Apple 21.5" iMac features wireless connectivity between mouse and keyboard, as does many other all-in-one desktop computers. This means that users can move these computers between rooms with ease and without causing mess.
- Needs a separate mouse and keyboard - Should any one of these vital components become faulty or missing, they will need to be replaced in order to use a desktop PC. But with a HP 23" Pavilion 1TB All-In-One PC featuring touchscreen capability, you don't need to always use the mouse or keyboard to view your pictures, go online, check your Facebook page or to do your weekly shop.
So when making your decision, considering if you require a portable or stationary solution is a good place to start. To see the full range of versatile, high performance laptops perfect for those wanting to compute-on-the-go, click here.
Alternatively, if you think that you will rarely need to use the computer outside of the comforts of your own home, start with viewing the full selection of powerful, stylish desktop computers available at BrightHouse right here.